Thursday, November 15, 2007

Zen of Watering Your Garden, Japanese Magnolia Cover


The book I have just written entitled Zen of Watering Your Garden has a wrap-around cover photo of one of my Japanese Magnolias. This tree has just been watered and the blossoms glisten with droplets. This is most assuredly a hybrid. It is an incessant problem with little trees for me to keep track of the original tags by the first time they bloom. Originally these diminutive trees came from China but have been grown there and in Japan and really in American and European hardiness Zones 5-9. Originally, somewhere in the background is Magnolia liliiflora or soulangiana. The botanists always confuse me. I fertilize just twice a year with a balanced fertilizer. Mine get sun for about half of the day. I only wish the blooms lasted longer. I have mine well mulched and water only when we have not had rain for quite some time. I wonder if anyone knows the cultural meaning if any of these in China or Japan???

No comments: